/ / Russian cemetery in Sainte-geneviève-des-Bois: photo description (Cimetiere russe de Sainte-Genevieve-des-Bois)

Russian cemetery in Sainte-geneviève-des-Bois: photo description (Cimetiere russe de Sainte-Genevieve-des-Bois)

Russian cemetery in the Paris suburb of Saint-Genelev-des-Bois traces its history back to 1927 when the Princess Meshchersky founded the "Russian house" for elderly immigrants. It was then the cemetery of the town came the first Russian graves.

Now on a special plot here buried several thousand Russian, found rest in French soil. The names of many of them widely known to the world. Therefore, all of the cemetery called "Russian".

The cemetery is predominantly Orthodox. It is a small Church of the Dormition of the Mother of God, which was consecrated in 1939. It was built on public donations for the project of the Russian architect and painter albert Benois. Church made in the tradition of Novgorod and Pskov architecture of the XVI century. Together with his wife, the artist painted the temple inside. Here, in the crypt of the Church, both are buried.

The Church belongs to the Archdiocese of Russian Orthodox churches in Western Europe. In 1975 it is included in the list of monuments protected by the French state. In the cemetery are up to 10,000 Russian graves. Since 1960, the local municipality seeking demolition of the cemetery, believing that this land is required for public purposes. Under the laws of France, burial, until the expiration of the lease of the land. In 2008, the Russian government paid 692 thousand euros for the repayment of debt and renewal of the lease of land to the cemetery.

At Sainte-geneviève-des-Bois buried the poet Alexander Galich and writer Ivan Bunin, historian Andrei Amalric, film Director Andrei Tarkovsky, the great dancer Rudolf Nureyev, artist Konstantin Korovin, chemist Aleksei Chichibabin. On the crosses and gravestones are carved hundreds of names of people that make up the color of the Russian culture and science, which is an example of military honour.

Project Alberta there is a monument to the participants of the White movement, repeating on the form of a stone mound erected in 1921 near the town of Gallipoli on the shore of the Strait of the Dardanelles. The first mound was destroyed by an earthquake, a monument at Saint-Genevieve-des-Bois took from him the torch of remembrance.