/ / Saran: photos, description of sarrant)

Saran: photos, description of sarrant)

Sarran - a picturesque village in the South of France, region MIDI - Pyrenees. It is included in the Association "Most beautiful villages of France". It is home to at least 400 people. The nearest major town - Osh, located 32 kilometers to the southwest.

The first settlement appeared here in the days of the Western Roman Empire, as evidenced by burials, dated to the fourth century, discovered quite recently, during archaeological excavations in 2004. Subsequently, the village grew into a Bastide - a fortified settlement, widespread in the South, in the XII-XIV centuries. The first documentary information about this place in 1265.

In the early sixteenth century, the population of Sarran consisted of 2,000 people. He was known as the "city of musicians" - there came the violin and the flute from the neighbouring Kingdom of Navarra. However, his position has suffered greatly because of the religious wars the town was captured and looted by the Huguenots. And in the years 1628-1631 in the region was rampant bubonic plague. After a hundred years Sarran became one of the centers of the counterrevolution in the South of France.

It is, however, noted that the city was never fully abandoned or destroyed despite all his misadventures, and numerous fires. And in the years 1853-1863 has passed the modernization of its buildings. However, there are also many historic sites. First and foremost it is worth noting the city gate with tower of the XIV century - the only thing remaining from the medieval fortifications.

The main temple of the town is the Church of St. Vincent - the patron Saint of Serrana. The first building was built in the middle Ages, and the modern appeared on this place later - in the XIV century. During the religious wars, the building was seriously damaged, and because in the seventeenth it was decided to restore and increase in size. And in the XIX century the Cathedral was crowned with a neat spire.

In addition, the city has preserved numerous stone mansions and rich houses that give the village a unified and authentic look. In the city also has a old garden, where are grown fruit trees since the middle Ages.