/ / Sainte-Suzanne: photo, description, (Sainte-Suzanne)

Sainte-Suzanne: photo, description, (Sainte-Suzanne)

Sainte-Suzanne is a picturesque old village situated in the West of France in the Department of Mayenne, pays de La Loire region. It is included in the Association "Most beautiful villages of France". It is home to a little less than 1000 people. This area went down in history under the name of "pearl of the County of Maine, on the historic territory of which it was.

Sainte-Suzanne is perched on a hill, which reaches 220 meters in height, known as "Mont Noir" (Mont Noir, which translated from French means "black mountain"). To the North of the settlement there are more high hills, the slopes of which lies the forest. Distance to large settlements of Angers is 88 kilometers.

The history of the settlement begins with the tenth century, when the local temple was brought relics of Saint Susanna, in whose honor the town was named. After a century the city fortress was under siege from William the Conqueror. During the hundred years war of Sainte-Suzanne 14 years was kept in British hands and was released only in 1439. In 1608, settled one of the Ministers of king Henry IV of Navarre. The city quickly became an important economic and administrative significance - it housed the centre of the parish, were frequent fairs, to develop the extraction of salt. In the XIX century there were more than 1,800 people.

The main religious building of the city is the Church of St. Susanna, survived many destructions and subsequent restorations. Only the portal of the Renaissance and the bell tower are preserved in their authentic form XVI century. The interior of the Church is quite modest, but it represented the medieval wooden sculptures of XIV-XV centuries.

Outside the city is an old cemetery with a chapel of St. Mary Magdalene. When the main Church was closed during the French revolution, the parish was temporarily moved to the chapel.

In addition to the castle of Sainte-Suzanne, in the city there are many well preserved stone mansions and mills of the seventeenth century. In one of these houses housed the local history Museum, which presents a rare medieval accoutrements of the XV century.

Three kilometers to the North from the settlement is a monument of the Neolithic burial mound dolmen des ERV, which reaches the age of 6000 years.