/ / Virgin of all sorrows chapel: photos, description Chapelle Orthodoxe Russe Notre-Dame des Affliges)

Virgin of all sorrows chapel: photos, description Chapelle Orthodoxe Russe Notre-Dame des Affliges)

The full name of the alter of the chapel - the chapel of the blessed virgin "Joy of All who sorrow". It is the Russian Orthodox cemetery at the Old castle in the town of Menton, in the highest point.

The cemetery was opened in 1880 and the chapel was built in 1886. the Collection of funds for its construction among members of the Russian Diaspora Menton was declared in memory of Alexandra Teplyakova - the nurse who helped the wounded during the Russo-Turkish war of 1877-1878. A generous contribution to the construction made count Nikolai Protasov-Bakhmetyev.

The chapel project has developed a Vice-Consul and artist Nikolai Yurasov, whose remains rest in the same cemetery. Artist Ivan Kramskoy created for the chapel altarpiece, and in the middle of the twentieth century, it has several icons painted by Valentin Sicinski - famous painter, an immigrant whose work can also be seen in the churches of Paris and Cannes. Inside the chapel there is a crypt in which was transferred the remains of the destroyed Russian graves.

The chapel assigned to mentoscope Orthodox Church of the Theotokos and of St. Nicholas. The chapel was long abandoned, the authorities Menton even planned to demolish it. However, it was found the funds for its upgrade, and since 2010 in the chapel is undergoing restoration.

The cemetery of the Old castle was the last refuge for some of the tuberculosis patients who came from Russia to Menton to treatment for soldiers and officers - participants of the Russian-Japanese war of 1904-1905, for emigrants, who left Russia after the 1917 revolution.