/ / The wall of Philip Augustus: photo, description Enceinte de Philippe Auguste)

The wall of Philip Augustus: photo, description Enceinte de Philippe Auguste)

The wall of Philip Augustus is the defensive wall of Paris, which was erected in 1190 on in the year 1215. The Grand medieval fortification built on the orders of king Philip II Augustus (curve) of the Capetian dynasty.

Paris should be grateful to this king, which, incidentally, first used the title "king of France" and not "king of the Franks". It was Philip Augustus began consciously to turn Paris into the capital of the country. He sought to centralize power and at the same time supported the local government, encouraged the development of guilds of merchants and artisans, built the first permanent market of Les Halles. Naturally, he sought to protect is a thriving market town from the raids of the Normans, whose Duke was called also king of England. Before leaving for the Third crusade Philip Augustus solved the problem by building around the city a powerful fortress wall.

On the right Bank of the Seine, exposed to a greater risk of raids, the wall was completed by 1209. On the left construction lasted from 1220 and 1215. Walls 6-8 meters high stretched a total of more than 5 kilometers. Every 60 meters there was a tower (there were 77). The rhythm of alternating sections of the wall with towers was defined combat characteristics of small arms of the era: the crossbow beat aiming for no more than 30 meters. Thus, the wall construction is allowed to sweep all approaches to it. The wall itself was one meter wide, between two layers of masonry of limestone covered rocks and debris. In the Western direction, the most vulnerable to the raids, was also built the fortress of the Louvre, surrounded by a moat. For access to the city was arranged fifteen large gates. On the right Bank the construction partially financed by wealthy citizens, interested in the safety of Paris.

During numerous reconstructions of the capital, the wall was almost entirely destroyed. However, some fragments have survived to our time. The largest fragment of the wall length of 60 meters is preserved today in the Marais district at the intersection of Charlemagne and Jardin Saint-Paul (along the sports fields). Ibid. - the remains of two towers. One of them sat, waiting for their fate, the count of Montgomery, who during a tournament by accident mortally wounded king Henry II. In total in Paris, there are two dozen sections of the wall in the rank of historical monuments - on Rue du Louvre (the remains of the tower), at the firehouse on the Rue Cardinal-Lemoine, and even in the Parking lot (street l'ancienne comédie).