/ / Talmont-sur-Gironde: photo description (Talmont-sur-Gironde)

Talmont-sur-Gironde: photo description (Talmont-sur-Gironde)

The prevailing color of the village of Talmont-sur-Gironde - white, its streets are built up of small white houses with two floors between which the flowers grow. The village is home to less than a hundred people and tourists here is hundreds of times more, because Talmon included in the Association the most beautiful villages of France.

Commune located in the Charente-Maritime Department of the Poitou - Charentes region and stands on the banks of the Gironde river. The oldest buildings in the village include the Church of the Holy Radegund, which was built in the late XI century. Radegunde lived in the VI century and was the wife of the Frankish king Clotaire the First. Radegunda weighed heavily on the Queen's life, and she is more willing to offer prayers, assisting the poor, hospitals, eventually became a nun and founded a convent in Poitiers. After the death of the Queen of the Franks was canonized.

To date from the ancient Church is preserved only the facade survived in the reconstruction of XV century. But you can still see some decorations - for example, the decoration of the capitals of the columns, which depict the fight of St. George with the serpent.

The village of Talmon was established next to the Church as a fortified settlement, this was ordered by the English king Edward the First in 1284. The village was related to the events of the hundred years war, and in the middle of the XVII century Talmon was destroyed by Spanish troops.

Now Talmont-sur-Gironde is a quiet and peaceful place, surrounded by beautiful scenery, condusive to a leisurely walk through the streets of the village and the contemplation of the panorama of the valley of the Gironde.