/ / The Toulouse Museum, (Museum de Toulouse)

The Toulouse Museum, (Museum de Toulouse)

The Toulouse Museum is the first Museum in the world where was opened a Department dedicated to prehistoric times. The history of this Museum goes back more than two centuries, and the number of exhibits exceeds two and a half million. The main profile of this Museum - natural science.

The founder of the Toulouse Museum was the scientist, a native of this city Philip Pico de La Perouse. The range of his scientific interests was very wide: de La Perouse published works devoted to the study of fossil molluscs, ferns, studied ornithology and Mineralogy. Philippe Picot de La Perouse led the Museum since its founding in 1796 until 1814.

The Museum opened in a former convent and at first was intended only for a narrow audience of scholars and researchers. But during the leadership of the Museum Jean-Baptiste Zero in 1865, the Museum opened to anyone interested. Around the same time the land around the Museum was located the Botanical garden of the University, which twenty years later became known as the "Garden of plants".

Currently, among the natural science museums of France Toulouse is the second largest after Paris. In the twentieth century, the Museum includes a library for children and teaching Department. For visits were open 19 exhibition halls. A few years ago, the Museum building was renovated, its area was doubled from three to six thousand square meters. At the time of repair of the exposition of the Museum were temporarily in other museums of Toulouse.