/ / The fountain of the Innocents: a photo, a description (Fontaine des Innocents)

The fountain of the Innocents: a photo, a description (Fontaine des Innocents)

The fountain of Innocents is the oldest in Paris. It is located in the Les Halles square Joachim du bellay, named after a French poet of the XVI century, a contemporary of Ronsard. Monumental fountain - a real masterpiece of French Renaissance.

Was built the Fountain of the nymphs, as it was first called, between 1547 and 1550 years near the cemetery of the Innocent - a fountain was attached to the wall on the corner of Berger and Saint-Denis. It was designed by the architect Pierre lescot, sculptures and reliefs were created by Jean Goujon. Erected a fountain in honour of the solemn entry into Paris in 1549 king Henry II.

The fate of the fountain is determined by the characteristics of the place of its construction. The cemetery of the Innocents was the largest burial in the city, it overflowed. Attempt to solve the problem of construction of special huge crypts where the remains of the deceased were "deposited", gave nothing. In 1786, Louis XVI ordered to transfer the exhumed ashes here in the Paris catacombs, and the fat from hundreds of thousands of decomposed bodies of artisans used to make soap and candles.

On the site of the former cemetery there was an area with vegetable market. In 1788, the fountain was dismantled and moved to the center of the square - it was called the Fountain of the Innocent. Now that he was visible from all four sides, the sculptor Augustin Pajou finished fourth arch and an impressive pedestal with four swimming pools and the lions. Under Napoleon Bonaparte, the fountain began to eat a more copious stream from the river Ourcq, which improved the water supply of Paris, at the time this idea was put forward by Leonardo da Vinci.

The fountain is an outstanding example of the mannerism style, which was characteristic of Western European art of the XVI century. By itself, the shape of the structure follows the outline of a Roman Shrine dedicated to the nymphs of the Nymphaeum. In the stucco decoration by Jean Goujon widely used twisted tails of sea creatures, spiral shell, dynamic, wavy lines of the drapery and clothes.

Genuine masters reliefs from the pedestal of the fountain in 1824, transferred to the Louvre square tourists see only their copies.