/ / Fort national: photo description (Fort National)

Fort national: photo description (Fort National)

Saint-Malo was founded in the VI century as a modest monastic cloister, and then grew up in a strong fortress standing on an island at the mouth of the river Rance. By the end of the XVI century the city developed into a small independent island state, and then served as a refuge for the sea robbers. In a city with such a past preserved many attractions related to the city's fortifications - fortress walls, towers, bastions and FORTS, built in different centuries.

In the Bay near Saint-Malo located several, including Fort national and the Fort on island Petit Be. The Fort, called national, is the rock Illit, which is on the island a few meters from the town itself. Once on this island was a lighthouse. The construction of this fortification was started by order of king Louis XIV. A project of the Fort was developed by the famous engineer of the fortification by the Marquis de Vauban, and directed the work, which was completed by 1689, Simon Garana. Originally the Fort was called the Royal, then after the corresponding events have been renamed in Republican and Imperial, until, in 1870, did not become National.

In 1693, the Fort repelled the fleet, which intended to destroy the stronghold of the pirates. Near the Fort was supposed to explode a ship loaded with gunpowder and cannonballs. But the ship exploded before reaching the city walls and the surviving parts of his "stuffing" are now stored in Fort Nationale. The Fort in its history, was also used as a prison.

During the Second world war, the Fort was captured by the German army and was damaged allies. Restoration of the fortifications took place on the original plans drawn by de Vauban. Today, the Fort takes visitors, but is accessible only during low tide.