/ / Fort St. Nicholas: photos, description (Fort Saint-Nicolas)

Fort St. Nicholas: photos, description (Fort Saint-Nicolas)

Fort of St. Nicholas - one of the two fortresses that were built in the XVII century at the entrance to the Old port of Marseilles by order of king Louis XIV. In 1658 the inhabitants of the city rebelled against the Governor of Provence, so two years later the monarch was disposed to erect to frighten disobedient Marseilles FORTS of St. John and St. Nicholas, and their guns were ordered to move to the city.

He supervised the construction of Fort architect, Louis-Nicolas de Clerville work was spent four years. For the walls of the Fort used the stone from Couronne, which was pink. Currently, the walls are easily distinguishable traces of later repairs - they used to have a gray stone.

Stone Fort Saint-Nicolas was built on the place where previously a chapel was built. It was consecrated in honor of this Holy and belonged to the Abbey of Saint-Victor. Estimated time of construction of the chapel - the XII-XIII century. In the XIV century chapel located at the foot of the wall played the role of a chain of towers to the wall was attached a chain that was not allowed to enter the port of undesirable vessels.

After the French revolution, Marseille managed to partially destroy the Fort, but now the National Assembly has convinced citizens that the Fort may still need to protect the city. It was after this in the walls of the Fort were stone and patches of gray.

In the first half of the nineteenth century to the end of the Second world war, the Fort served as a prison. The construction of the Boulevard towards the Palais du Pharo "cut" Fort for two on a small Fort, named by the name of Admiral Gintama, and on the great Fort that bears the name of rear Admiral d Intercaste.

In the twentieth century, Fort Saint Nicholas was protected as a historical monument. One part of it is open to tourists, the center of the fortress, closed to the public, is a Foreign Legion, and the Fort Cantoma is now the officers ' club.

The Fort is also a monument to the victims of war - in 1954 the memorial was turned into the old mill Fort.