/ / Fort of six-Fours and the Church of Saint-Pierre-AUX-Liens: photos, description Eglise Saint-Pierre-aux-Liens)

Fort of six-Fours and the Church of Saint-Pierre-AUX-Liens: photos, description Eglise Saint-Pierre-aux-Liens)

Fort of six-Fours and the adjoining Church of Saint-Pierre-AUX-Liens are located in the Mediterranean city of six-Fours-Les-Plages, southern France, region Provence - Alpes - Cote d'azur.

The Fort dominates the seaside resort, located at an altitude of 210 meters above sea level. It was built not very long ago, in 1875. After the Franco-Prussian war, the naval forces of France housed in this fortified medieval village, and built himself a private military base. In the course of construction was demolished many monuments of medieval architecture - the Church, the house and the first castle, which stands on the hill. The Fort took part in the defense of Provence by the troops of Nazi Germany in 1943-1944, but was forced to surrender. At the moment the castle belongs to the military forces of France and is closed to tourist visits.

Church of Saint-Pierre-AUX-Liens - the construction of an entirely different kind, is the only surviving medieval building, located in the former castle. It was built in the XII century, and parts of the Romanesque architectural style still seen in its appearance. Moreover, at the lowest level of the building were found traces of an ancient sanctuary of the V century.

The Church was several times rebuilt and reconstructed - the last the work was finished in the XVII century. But the most important change happened a century earlier, the Church was greatly enlarged in the XVI century, was added another, the Gothic wing of the building. Since 1650, the Church became collegiate.

The interior of the Church is heterogeneous, and is preserved as a Romanesque chapel and the late Gothic. All the chapel altar decorated with unique images, the oldest of which is made in the XVI century. Particularly worth mentioning is the descent from the cross "of 1604, written by masters of the Flemish school and a polyptych by Ludovico Brea, the representative of the Italian Renaissance of the XVI century. The stained glass Windows of the modern Cathedral - they were made in 2014.