/ / Forum Central market: photo description (Forum des Halles)

Forum Central market: photo description (Forum des Halles)

Forum Les Halles, or the Forum of the Central market is a huge underground shopping center and the biggest in the Paris underground transport hub. It is located in the area of Beaubourg, where for eight centuries raged in Central Paris market.

In the XII century king Philip Curve ordered to occupy the former fields and gardens around the cemetery of the Innocent city market Les Halles. Here was formed a new suburb of Paris Beau-Bourg (Bourg Beau - "beautiful city"). From about 1200 to 1500 years in the market have traded anything, but then he focused exclusively on the wholesale trade of edible.

Like any large shopping center, Les Halles had problems with sanitation. In the nineteenth century, Napoleon III decided to transform Paris into a model city and a very critical assessment of the state of the market. At the time, the monarch liked the glazed landing stage East of the station, designed by architect Baltram. Him the Emperor commissioned the design.

Marina square built, connected by galleries and pavilions under the luminous lights. Without a doubt, it is an enormous repository of goods and people, boiling from early morning until late evening and providing the needs of the metropolis, has played a significant role in the development of French capitalism. Emile Zola called it "the belly of Paris", the market has become a recognized symbol of the city. He worked even during the occupation.

However, in the 60-ies of XX century it became clear that the market is outdated. After heated discussions it was moved out of the city. Few years to his former place was a wasteland. In 1979 there was built overhead-underground complex carré-Les Halles, later received its present name. The complex goes underground and four floors on which are located the shops, the Museum of holography and a branch of the musée grévin, a video library, pool, tropical garden.

Even lower are the platforms of five metro stations and interchange node, three lines high speed metro RER.

On the surface the complex adjoins the Park of Les Halles, with exposed metal trusses. They remind us of the once located here and the pavilions of Baltar, a true "belly of Paris".