/ / Celestina Church, (Eglise des Celestins d'avignon)

Celestina Church, (Eglise des Celestins d'avignon)

The Church of Celestine in the form in which it can be seen nowadays, was built in the XV century. Its construction was started in 1396 and was conducted almost a hundred years. Initially, there was a modest wooden chapel, built over the burial place of Saint Peter of Luxembourg. In honor of this burial has been called and the area around the chapel - plus-de-Corps of the St (square of the Holy relics).

Peter of Luxembourg was known for what became a high-ranking churchman in the early years - at the age of 15 he was already a Bishop of Metz, and then soon received the title of cardinal, and in 18 years (1387 year) died of consumption. After his burial in Avignon there were rumors about the miraculous nature of the cardinal's remains, and the monks of the order of Celestine decided to build over the grave of the monastery. The saints Peter of Luxembourg was ranked only in 1527, and before that his relics were venerated without official recognition of their Holiness by the Church.

Later, near the Church of the Celestine chapel was built in honour of another Saint - Benezet, one of the most revered in Avignon. According to local legend, in the life Benezet was a simple shepherd, to whom Christ appeared and told him to build the Avignon bridge across the Rhone. When residents demanded that Benezet to prove to them their exclusivity and to show any miracle, he carried through the city to the river a huge stone and marked it a place for construction. Benezet lived in the XII century and was canonized in the fourteenth century.

The Church of Celestine had many values, works of art and religious utensils that during the great French revolution, was burned, and the Church itself was turned into a barracks. The surviving relics of Celestine found shelter in other churches of Avignon - for example, the relics of St. Benezet are buried in the Church of St. Adeodata.

Currently, the courtyard of the Church becomes a theatre during the annual festival in July.