/ / Church of our lady of Bordeaux: photo, description Eglise Notre-Dame de Bordeaux)

Church of our lady of Bordeaux: photo, description Eglise Notre-Dame de Bordeaux)

The current name of the Church of our lady in Bordeaux was only in the early nineteenth century, although it was built about a hundred years before. Construction work was completed in 1707, and the Church belonging to the Dominicans, was consecrated by the name of St. Dominic. At the end of the eighteenth century within a few years, the revolutionaries tried to impose a new cult, and Church in Bordeaux was transformed into a sanctuary of the Great Mind. In 1802, after the return of the Church to the Catholic Church, she was dedicated to our lady.

Construction of the Church was preceded by several events. In the second half of the XVII century in Bordeaux started riots caused by the tax increase. To demonstrate the rebellious citizens all the power of royalty, Louis XV ordered to destroy the monastery of the Dominicans, and through its territory to expand the area of the castle Trumpet, simultaneously having strengthened the castle. After about ten years the Dominican monks started building a new monastery and, of course, churches that were part of his complex.

Church of our lady in Bordeaux recognized as an example of the Baroque style and is a historical monument since 1908. Its facade is richly decorated with relief decoration, sculptures and medallions, Corinthian columns and stained-glass window, which depicts the mother of God.

Inside the temple are the altar of various types of marble and choirs wrought iron railings. Choirs are also decorated with gilt reliefs, which depict scenes of ascension of Jesus Christ and the virgin Mary. Scenes from the life of the mother of God was also depicted on the murals that appeared on the walls of the Church in the nineteenth century. The eighteenth century date back to the paintings, written by a monk-a Dominican, andré Jean.

The mother Church is often the venue for concerts of organ music in the Church in the XVIII century has been installed the tool works by German masters Godefroy Schmidt. At the end of XX century the organ was restored.