/ / The Church of Mary Magdalene: photos, description (Eglise Sainte-Marie-Madeleine)

The Church of Mary Magdalene: photos, description (Eglise Sainte-Marie-Madeleine)

In the XX century, the Church of St. Mary Magdalene because of the poor condition of the building was closed. In the beginning of this century it was opened again, but in a different capacity. The Church building was completely restored and in 2004 opened it already as an exhibition hall, which hosts various exhibitions.

In the old part of Lille you can see not one, but two churches named after Mary Magdalene. The first, located on Rue de Pont Neuf, was built in the first half of the XIII century. Then this area was the suburbs of Lille, and the Church was located on the territory of the monastery. By the end of the XVII century the temple was destroyed, and a new Church was decided to build not at the same place, and within the city wall (also a city landmark, one of the buildings of the Marquis de Vauban).

The architect of the new Church was françois Vollan, and in 1707 part of the work was completed, which allowed to perform the rite of consecration of the Church. But a year later the building was damaged during the siege of Lille - so much so that he needed renovations, which lasted until 1713. The rehabilitation works were supervised by architect Gomber.

The present appearance of the Church combines several styles - Renaissance, Baroque, there are elements of classic. However, residents of Lille, despite its status as a historical landmark, called the Church "the fat Magdalene" for its squat appearance. A feature of the building is that it is oriented relative to the street, not the sides, as is common in religious architecture.

The interior of the Church the most remarkable are the altar and the painting of Jacob van Oost, the younger "the Resurrection of St. Lazarus", which decorates the choir of the temple as well as paintings of the life of Mary Magdalene, written by the Belgian artist Andre Lance.