/ / The Church Notre-Dame-de-Bon-Voyage: photos, description Eglise Notre-Dame de Bon Voyage)

The Church Notre-Dame-de-Bon-Voyage: photos, description Eglise Notre-Dame de Bon Voyage)

Catholic Church Notre Dame de Bon Voyage (our lady of Good Paths) is in the centre of Cannes, across the road from the Palace of festivals and Congress hall. However, not on the Croisette and a block away, so many tourists pass by. Meanwhile, the Church stands at the starting point of the most bright events of the European history of the early XIX century triumphal March of Napoleon to Paris, where he began his last takeoff, the famous "hundred days".

This place in the XVI century to protect the city from the plague was built a chapel. It was called the Notre-Dame-des-Sables (our lady of the Sands - due to the fact that it was near the dunes), the Notre-Dame-du-Bor-de-Mer (our lady of the Sea Shore), Notre-Dame de Bon Port (our lady of Good Harbor). Nothing special was not around: fishing shack at the dunes.

But it was here, under the walls of the village chapel, in the sand, camped, lit fires and spent the night of 1 and 2 March 1815 Napoleon escaped from exile on Elba. With a detachment of a thousand-odd people he landed in the next Bay, to barely passable, furnace road along the sea came to Cannes and settled here in the bivouac. The researchers outline the approximate boundaries of the camp to the North and East, where now lie the Rue d'antibes and Belg. With great certainty assume that the tent of Napoleon stood on the site of the present house number 15 along the street Belg. The soldiers wrapped in blankets and slept on the sand, fortified bread and roasted on the fire and meat products requisitioned for them from local bakers and butchers, the then mayor Agustin Bullet - Cannes became the first city sided with Napoleon without any resistance).

In the morning the Emperor took off and went to Paris via Grasse, Castellane, Sisteron, Grenoble, Lyon. So from little chapel of the Cannes film started the famous "route napoléon" (now it is the route N 85).

All this says a plaque on the wall of the Church Notre-Dame-de-Bon-Voyage, facing the street with a non-random name Bivouac Napoleon. Perhaps the dedication of the Church our lady of Good Way is no accident. (Usually it is due to the fact that local fishermen prayed here before going to sea.)

The Church itself was built in 1879 by the project of the Cannes architect Laurent Viana on the site of the former chapel when she could no longer accommodate the faithful. Powerful building of gray stone in neo-Romanesque style in fact is not finished: due lack of money has not built any project on the bell tower and two more towers. But without them the Church looks very impressive and harmonious. Inside you should pay attention to the impressive stained glass in the transept, depicting the stoning of Saint Stephen and the massacre in Leninskom monastery (Saracens kill the monks). And the stained glass in the choir is a modern work, they replaced those that were destroyed during the allied landings in August 1944.

A new Church has also been the scene for important events here in 1882, married count Arthur de Vogüé, and in 1931 the funeral of the Emmanuel of Orleans, Duke of Vendome.