/ / Church of Notre-Dame-du-Pin: photo, description Eglise Notre-Dame-des-Pins)

Church of Notre-Dame-du-Pin: photo, description Eglise Notre-Dame-des-Pins)

The Roman Church Notre-Dame-des-Pins, on the Boulevard Alexandre III, famous for its unusual architecture and always attracts the attention of tourists. Her story is also interesting.

The name of the Church Notre-Dame-de-Pin - translates very touching and cute: Church of our lady of the Pines. You can guess how it got its name: in the place where the temple now stands surrounded by modern buildings, when something rustled the pine forest. Aleppo pine is the usual wood for the côte d'azur. In 1864, seven residents of Cannes have joined forces to build here, at the end of the Croisette, a small chapel. A year later the chapel, built by the Cannes architect Laurent Viana literally in the woods, has been consecrated.

However, in the XIX century became due to the Lord of Bruma is very popular with English and Russian nobility, has expanded rapidly. The forest was cut down, around the chapel appeared more at home, and the parish grew. In 1914 he had to attach the side naves. It helped, but not for long: in 1932 the congregation became so numerous that they require a room three times larger than before.

The second extension passed on the project at the Cannes architect Cesar Cavallina, and it was serious: the facade has not changed, but the Church has grown in depth, there was a transept, choir, presbytery, sacristy, bell tower. The chapel became a parish Church. Jingle her bells with a rectangular tower, it began to merge on Sunday morning with the bells of the Orthodox Archangel Michael Church, which stands a little further along the Boulevard.

The building of Notre-Dame-des-Pins is a typical example of eclecticism of the nineteenth century: there is mixed Romanesque and Gothic styles, and Gothic has two types - English and Italian. Adjacent to the temple Church school building are terraces, with balustrades on the second floor and with arcades on the ground. Skillful stone carving, made by local craftsmen, adorns the entrance portals, capitals of the Corinthian columns inside the temple and baptismal font.