/ / The Church Notre-Dame-du-It: photo, description Eglise Notre-Dame du Taur)

The Church Notre-Dame-du-It: photo, description Eglise Notre-Dame du Taur)

The Church Notre-Dame-du-standing in the historic center of a large city of Toulouse, located in the South of France. It is located between the city hall (Capitole) and the Basilica of St-Sernin.

According to legend, on this very spot where the Church now stands, and killed the patron Saint of the city Saint Saturnin, torn apart by bulls in the year 250. Hence the name of the Church - du (du Taur), which from French translates as "bull". The building stands on the same street - Rue du.

It is believed that immediately after the painful death of the Saint on this spot a chapel was erected, and next to it the memorial to St. Saturnin, built a hundred years later, Hilaire Toulouse, the third Bishop of the city. However, in the course of archaeological excavations 1969-1970 years no monument, no tomb, no trace of the ancient temple were found.

But it has been documented that already in the XI century there appeared a building of a previous Church called "the Church of the bull" - Eglise-du. Only in 1534, it got its modern name - Notre-Dame-du.

The current Church building was built in the XIV century. The Church is known for its tall, elegantly-decorated belfry-a bell tower rising above the facade. Interestingly, its top is seen from everywhere of the city. The Cathedral is built of reddish-pink brick and designed in a typical South of France style of the Mediterranean Gothic. Its powerful facade with a bell tower more typical medieval castle than a sacral building. It is not surprising that the construction of this facade lasted for two hundred years, and was completed only in the XVI century. On the top of the bell tower was equipped consisting of 13 bells Carillon.

The interior of the Church cannot be called lush. The most ancient parts of the interior is the sculptural group of the 38 figures represents the genealogical tree of Saint James of the XIV century and the statue of the blessed virgin Mary, patroness of the city, built in the XVI century. The Cathedral is also decorated with exquisite iron railing of the XVIII century and paintings of the XIX century. The main body was completed in 1880.