/ / The Church of the blessed virgin and of St. Nicholas: a photo, description Eglise de Notre-Dame joie des affliges et Saint-Nicolas le Thaumaturge)

The Church of the blessed virgin and of St. Nicholas: a photo, description Eglise de Notre-Dame joie des affliges et Saint-Nicolas le Thaumaturge)

In the small resort town of Menton on the Cote d'azur has a small Russian community. The first tourists from Russia visited Menton in the second half of the XIX century. During his life here the Russian residents built a Church and a chapel - the temple is located on the street Field, Mario, and the chapel stands on the abandoned Orthodox cemetery the "Old castle".

The grounds and cemeteries, and churches and chapels connected with the establishment in 1880 of the Russian benevolent society, which was supposed to help the needy, care for the sick and to accompany the last journey of the deceased, as at Mentone from Russia, many came hoping to recover from tuberculosis, but not all have succeeded. The society had the patronage of the Grand Duchess Anastasia Mikhailovna. Also in 1880 was opened the Russian cemetery in 1886 it was built the chapel of all who Sorrow.

In 1892, the Russian benevolent society in Menton started the construction of the Church were purchased in the quarter Carnoles four-storey mansion, which was opened sanatorium "Russian house". Later the society bought a small Villa in which he organized a hospice for terminally ill patients.

Church of the blessed virgin "All the afflicted" and St Nicholas the Wonderworker was consecrated in December 1892. In the early twentieth century this small Church came and Russian immigrants who lived in Italy.

In creating the interior decoration of the Church was attended by the Vice-Consul of Russia in Menton, artist Nikolai Yurasov, who wrote the altarpiece of the resurrection of Christ and developed the project of all who sorrow chapel, and the famous painters Alexander Benois and Karl Briullov, who wrote for the Church a few icons.

In 20-ies the Church was temporarily closed and during the Second world war it was damaged during the shelling of the Church's dome and its facade. The restoration of the temple was carried out in the late 50-ies.