/ / Church. Bernadette: photo, description Eglise Sainte-Bernadette de Biscarrosse-Plage)

Church. Bernadette: photo, description Eglise Sainte-Bernadette de Biscarrosse-Plage)

The Church of St. Bernadette is a cute modern religious building, located in the heart of Aquitaine seaside resort of Biscarrosse. This cozy town is famous for the fact that it is surrounded by two large lakes Cazaux and Parentis. Until XX century it was a relatively small settlement, where he earned a major seaplane base, in the place which is now a Museum.

The first Church building appeared in 1921. At first it was just tiny and squat wooden chapel. Even despite the fact that in 1927 it was enlarged, it was clear that for the existence of fully-fledged ward is necessary to build more stately and capacious structure.

The first stone of the new building was laid in December 1957. It is believed that this stone was specially imported from the Holy grotto in Lourdes Massabielle. Therefore, the Church was consecrated in honor of St. Bernadette Soubirous - the same girl from Lourdes which was blessed virgin Mary in 1858.

Construction was completed in 1961. Interestingly, as figures on the weathervane of the Church is not the cock, as it usually happens, and fish.

In 1987-1988, in St. Bernadette's Church underwent extensive restoration work, during which was added to the Department, and a whole separate room in the South wing of the Cathedral.

Among the interior details of the Church it is worth noting the painting in the gallery, narrating the life of St. Bernadette and the graceful sculpture of the Madonna and child 2007.

The architectural ensemble of the Church, painted white, complemented by the bell tower, made of dark brick. In 2008 she was made the great bell, weighing up to 115 pounds.