/ / Church. Vincent: photos, description Eglise Saint-Vincent d Urrugne)

Church. Vincent: photos, description Eglise Saint-Vincent d Urrugne)

The Church of St. Vincent located in a small Aquitaine town Urrone, which is located at the border with Spain and is part of the French Basque Country. The Church stands opposite the city's tourism office.

The first Church was built in the X century, but was completely destroyed during the frequent attacks of the Spaniards. The present temple was rebuilt in 1550 in the style of the Spanish Renaissance. It is distinguished by its powerful bell tower, which is more like a defensive building since the middle Ages. It is noticeable that on the upper floors and the external walls of the Church are cut small loopholes which were used during the defense of the town, and the steeple supports a powerful buttresses.

The Church tower, which also functions as a clock tower, and its lower floor is a small gate, under which is a comfortable terrace and the main entrance to the Church. Here installed a sundial, which has preserved carved on the wall of a famous saying: "Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat", which translates as "Each hour wounds, the last kills". This Latin quote was pictured on all the sundials. The arch of the gate made in typical Mediterranean style and decorated with bas-reliefs and fine sculptures.

Inside the Church is preserved the old Church plate, including the tabernacle and the Holy water bowl, which are considered cultural monuments and are under the protection of the state. The same applies to the pretentious Department. The new organ was made in 2009.

The Church interior is designed in a typical Basque style building consists of three floors, each of which are galleries where members and going during worship. However, it should be noted that to be present in the upper galleries was permitted only to men.

The building itself is also considered a monument of history and architecture of France - this status was assigned in 1925.