/ / The Church of St. Francis Xavier: photo, description Eglise Saint-Francois-Xavier)

The Church of St. Francis Xavier: photo, description Eglise Saint-Francois-Xavier)

The Church of St. Francis Xavier is considered one of the most beautiful Parisian churches. To the Russian ear the name of her patron Saint is kind of strange.

St Francis Xavier - the greatest Christian ascetic of the XVI century. Spanish aristocrat, he studied at the University of Paris, where he became acquainted with Ignatius de Loyola. August 15, 1534, Loyola, Xavier, and five of their comrades in the crypt of the Chapel of the Martyrs in Montmartre brought to the Lord the vows of poverty, chastity and obedience. Thus was born the Jesuit order. Co-founder of the order, Francis Xavier devoted his life to preaching the Word of God in the East - in India, Ceylon, the Islands of Indonesia, Japan and China. The Catholic Church believes the ascetic, the most prominent missionary in the history of Christianity - except, perhaps, the Apostle Paul.

A growing area of Paris South of the Invalides during the revolution felt the need of their own Church: the nearby Saint-Sulpice and the Church of St. Thomas Aquinas was closed, the congregation met in the chapel of the Seminary. In the first half of XIX century there was established a parish, which planned the temple. The Church of St. Francis Xavier began in 1861 under the direction of architect Adrien of Lussana.

As in many churches of the era of Napoleon III, the architect resorted to a new advanced technology using a supporting metal frame. It allowed greatly to reduce the time of construction the Church was completed in 1873 and consecrated a year later.

The parish of Saint-françois-Xavier in those days was one of the richest. This gave the opportunity to decorate the interior of remarkable works, including "the last supper" by Tintoretto, and "Rest on the flight into Egypt" painted by Louis Vlacherna, dome fresco of the Passover lamb and the seven seals" of the work of Charles-Joseph Lamere, the pictures of the prophets Ezekiel, Isaiah, Jeremiah and Daniel painted by Jules Delaunay.

19 Jun 2009 the Church has been an exciting event: the chapel of the sacred Heart acquired the repose of the imperishable relics of Saint Madeleine Sophie Barat, French nun, who founded in 1800 the congregation of sisters of the sacred Heart. The congregation close to the Jesuits, played a huge role in the development of girls ' education.