/ / The Church St-andré de l'europe: photos, description Eglise Saint-Andre-de-l'europe)

The Church St-andré de l'europe: photos, description Eglise Saint-Andre-de-l'europe)

The Church St-andré de l'europe (St. Andrew is European), built in the late XIX century, located in the European quarter of Paris, on the street named after the Russian Saint Petersburg. This is a very fortunate coincidence is that the Apostolic mission of St. Andrew, the patron Saint of the Church, covered the southern territory of the future Russian Empire (Crimea, Abkhazia).

The Church was originally the chapel itself, built between 1876 and 1900 for located here monastery of the Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate. In 1903, the order was expelled from France, the chapel is closed. Four years later, her door opened again to believers. The street on which the Church has repeatedly changed its name: until 1914 it was (translated from French) Saint-Petersburg, from 1914 to 1945 - Petrograd, after the world war II Leningrad. In 1991, the street was returned its historical name.

Over the gates of the little Church, tightly integrated in the surrounding buildings, the statue of St. Andrew holding a Saltire, on this the Apostle was crucified by the Gentiles in the Greek city of Patras. The façade is in the Gothic style, very simple. Inside the Church is planned is quite traditional, along the main nave are two large colonnades. The humble and austere interior is decorated with colorful stained-glass Windows work of Georges-Claudius Laverne. They depict scenes of the expulsion of Adam and eve from Paradise, the virgin Mary, of Moses, of the kings of Judah, the fathers of the Church. A very interesting statue of "our lady of Europe" the unknown artist, clearly giving the virgin Mary the perfect features of a Greek goddess. Quite differently interpreted the image of the virgin in Drink works by Georges Serra: here the emphasis is on pain and tenderness, which She feels over the body of the descent from the cross of his Son.

The dedication of the Church St Andrew the Apostle, whose preaching mission in its scope comparable to the missions of the Apostle Paul, is reflected in the interior. In the chapel of the virgin on the wall of the fixed signs with the text of the prayer "Hail Mary" at twenty major European languages.