/ / Church of Saint-Blaise: photo, description Eglise Saint-Blaise de Vichy)

Church of Saint-Blaise: photo, description Eglise Saint-Blaise de Vichy)

In the famous Spa town of Vichy, the Church of St. Blaise is located on Rue Saint-Cecile. It is located in the old part of the city, near the Park of the Allier, has one of his visits to Vichy Emperor Napoleon III. The name of this Emperor in the history of the resort linked to a period characterized by active construction and development of resort infrastructure. But the Church of Saint Blaise was built before the beginning of this period.

This Church was built in XVII-XVIII centuries on the site of the former castle, Saint-Michel, which belonged to the Duke Louis II de Bourbon. The construction of the Church began in the second half of the XVII century Claude Marechal, and construction was completed in 1714 by his nephew Joseph. Both were clergymen, and the younger of them was buried after his death in this temple. Moreover, the gravestone of Joseph Marechal, stored in the Church choir, in 1924, was recognized as an architectural monument.

Among other features of the Church is to call a marble altar set in the nineteenth century, "the Black Madonna" statue out of walnut wood and stained glass in the art Deco style. "Black Madonna", considered the patron of poor, also was recognized as miraculous and healing. This is evidenced by the numerous signs of gratitude, located at the feet of the statue.

Stained glass Windows in the spirit of a once fashionable areas of art Deco appeared in the Church in the 30-ies of the last century in the time of the conversion. At that time the Church has got an Annex, called Notre-Dame-de-Malad. The dome of the Church is decorated with the figure of the virgin Mary and in the chapel of the sick pray for your recovery. The walls of the new building was painted with frescoes and stained glass Windows for it created brothers Monegan. The famous master of glass art depicted in these paintings, the Crucifixion, scenes from the old and New Testaments.