/ / Church of Saint-Vincent: photo, description Eglise Saint-Vincent de Ciboure)

Church of Saint-Vincent: photo, description Eglise Saint-Vincent de Ciboure)

Church of Saint-Vincent is located in the port area of the seaside town of Ciboure, standing on the Atlantic coast, southwest France, the Aquitaine region.

This Church is of great importance for the city. It was built in a historic moment - when SIBUR gained independence from major neighbouring cities is Wrrong. Thus, the Church of St Vincent - the first religious building owned by the local diocese. Moreover, the Cathedral was built in the midst of the movement of the Counter-reformation against the Protestants.

On the site of the Church once stood a chapel, also dedicated to St. Vincent, but its traces were not found. The construction of a modern building took about 20 years from 1551 to 1572. Interestingly, the exterior of the Church there are visible traces of military fortifications, is more common in medieval buildings. This is due to the fact that SIBUR was the border post between France and Spain, and frequently suffered from attacks of Spanish troops, which lasted until the mid-seventeenth century. At the same time the Church was built the octagonal bell tower, and in 1694 appeared the new side chapel.

In the course of history there has been controversy, in honor of which St. Vincent is named the Church. For a long time it was believed that her patron is a local early Christian Bishop, but since 1756, been taken to consider the city's patron, St. Vincent (in the Russian tradition - Vincent) to Zaragoza.

Church of Saint-Vincent escaped destruction during the French revolution, though short, has lost its sacred value from 1792 it housed a military hospital, but in 1801 the divine service resumed.

The main facade of the Church was rebuilt in the years 1875-1888 in neo-Romanesque style - especially the ionic columns, vintage porch with a six-meter cross 1760 and the statue of St. Vincent, crowning the portal.

The internal appearance of the Cathedral is typical of temples of the Basque Country - it consists of three floors of galleries where parishioners gather during the mass. It is, however, to note that the upper floors were for men only. The Church contains many ancient sculptures, altar paintings and Church utensils brought from nearby temples and monasteries during the Revolution.