/ / Church of Saint-Jacques-du-Pas: photo, description Eglise Saint-Jacques-du-Haut-Pas)

Church of Saint-Jacques-du-Pas: photo, description Eglise Saint-Jacques-du-Haut-Pas)

Church of Saint-Jacques-du-PA is located on Rue Saint-Jacques, South-East of the Luxembourg gardens. Externally, the building appears to be unfinished: above symmetrical facade stands only the left tower, right there. Equally controversial is the whole history of the Church.

The land in this place around since 1180 belonged to the brothers Hospitallers - knights of St John, later known as the order of Malta. In 1572 it moved on the orders of Marie de Medici also the Benedictine monks of the monastery of Saint-Magloire. Chapel and later the Church of the Benedictines, was close to the population of the surrounding neighborhoods, and in 1630 the brother of Louis XIII, Gaston of Orleans decided to expand the Church. Planned was a lot, but not systematically enough, and the parishioners, a good Catholic, came here once a week to work for free.

For the life of the parish has had a huge impact young charismatic abbess of the convent of Port-Royal Marie-angélique Arnaud, a prominent activist yasenetskogo movement, later recognized as heresy. It was here, in Saint-Jacques-du-From-PA, was buried one of the pillars of yasenetskogo movement Duvergier de Goran, Abbot of Saint-Cyranski how long did the Church a place of worship Jansenists. The Duchess de Longueville, who turned to Jansenism at the end of his life, donated considerable funds to continue the construction of the temple, and buried her heart. Here lie the remains of the famous astronomer Jean-Dominique Cassini, who discovered four moons of Saturn and the Great red spot on Jupiter.

Almost a quarter of a century, from 1756 to 1780, the rector of the Church was the priest Jean-Denis Cochin, a brilliant preacher and a staunch philanthropist. He founded the Church of the hospital of St. James for the poor - so Saint-Jacques-du-Pas has returned to its roots (the order of the Hospitallers was famous for advanced medicine). The hospital still exists today and bears the name of its founder. In the Church you can see a marble memorial plaque with the words of gratitude to the priest who gave all his fortune to the cause of helping the poor.

During the revolution the Church was looted and turned into a "temple of mercy". Under Napoleon, the building was returned to believers, when the July monarchy - was restored. In the nineties of the last century, restoration was repeated, there were restored the interiors.