/ / Church of Saint-Jacques-Le-Majeur photo, description Eglise Saint-Jacques-le-Majeur de Nice)

Church of Saint-Jacques-Le-Majeur photo, description Eglise Saint-Jacques-le-Majeur de Nice)

Catholic Church of Saint-Jacques-Le-Majeur (St. James the elder), also known as the Church of Jesus is one of those pearls that are hidden in the maze of streets of Old nice. The tourist winds up at him and suddenly enters the area of Jesus is very small, it barely fit restaurant, shop, bakery. But the first thing a tourist sees, is suddenly raised in front of him the temple of showy purplish-blue color.

A Church on this site began to build the Jesuits (Society of Jesus) in 1612. Nice rich merchant donated money to the construction of the Jesuit College (it is the first stone was laid here in 1607). For several years the Jesuits bought the house around to fit not only the College, but the chapel of Jesus. The main work on the temple, which probably belongs to the nice architect Jean andré Gibert, ended in 1650. It is believed that it was the first nice example of Baroque style, after which the city has developed this architectural revolution is evident in many Baroque façades of the old quarters.

However, the Society of Jesus in nice is coming to an end, the Jesuits were persecuted, in 1773 Pope Clement XIV abolished the order, and within a year the Jesuits were expelled from the city. In 1814 the Jesuit Order was restored, but the fate of the former chapel of Jesus is not affected - it has already become the parish Church of St. James.

The Apostle James, which is now dedicated to the temple, often called elders, to emphasize that he is the elder brother of the Apostle and Evangelist John. Therefore the Church bears the name of Saint-Jacques-Le-Majeur.

The façade, remade in 1825, remained in the Baroque, though, and acquired some of the features of neoclassical style. Corinthian pilasters, typical of the Palladian window, garlands of flowers in a Mannerist spirit, statues in niches, with bas-relief of a triangular pediment, and a mix of purplish-blue walls with pale yellow trim - all together looks very attractive.

The bell tower of simple bricks with a height of 42 meters is only visible from the neighboring streets Croix (of the cross). Worth going there to look at the unusual dome - it is covered with typical for nice colorful tiles, but the shape resembles a funny cocked hat.

The interior is surprisingly spacious. Admire the splendor of the interior, characteristic of the Baroque: ornate, sculpture, gilt. There are more than 160 images of angels and cherubs. The vault of the nave are decorated with frescoes, executed in the nineteenth century the drawings of the nice artist Hercule of Trashes and telling about the life of Christ and of the Apostle James.

One of the most impressive parts of the interior of the Church is the statue of the virgin Mary in the chapel of the virgin of the Seven Sorrows. The virgin Mary is depicted with a dagger in the heart, which refers to the gospel of Luke: "And he blessed them Simeon and said to Mary His Mother, behold, This child is set for the fall and rising of many in Israel; and for a sign of contradiction - and You yourself a sword will pierce the soul, may be revealed the thoughts of many hearts" (LK 2, 34-35).