/ / The Church Saint-Gervais: photo, description Eglise Saint-Gervais de Saint-Gervais-les-Bains)

The Church Saint-Gervais: photo, description Eglise Saint-Gervais de Saint-Gervais-les-Bains)

The Church of Saint-Gervais is located in the heart of the small highland town of Saint-Gervais-Les-Bains, part of the Mont Blanc.
Patron Saint of the whole commune and the Church in particular are the brothers Gervasius and Protasov, the early Christian martyrs of the first century. Their relics were discovered at Milan by Ambrose of Milan in the year 386.

The parish of Saint-Gervais existed here since the twelfth century. From that era have survived only the bell tower. The modern Church building was erected in the late XVII century, about 1698. Until the late eighteenth century there were two old bells made in 1108 and 1159 years, but they both died in a fire 1792.

The interior of the temple is designed in the style of XVIII-XIX centuries. The oldest preserved part is the carved wooden pulpit, component 200 meters in height and Dating from the XVII century. Other Church utensils, for example, a graceful tabernacle was made in the XVIII century. This object represents a work of art made of gold and silver. To the same century belongs a Crucifix of painted wood, set under the arches of the temple. The main altar, completed in 1822, was completely restored in 1958. It is made of gilded wood.

In 1987, the Church of Saint-Gervais was recognized as a monument of history and architecture in France and since then is under protection of the state. Now the Church is open for tourist visit, the operating hours - from 8 am to 7 PM.