/ / Church of Saint-Germain-l Osera: photo description (L'eglise Saint-Germain-l'auxerrois)

Church of Saint-Germain-l Osera: photo description (L'eglise Saint-Germain-l'auxerrois)

Church of Saint-Germain-l Oberoi located in the heart of Paris, near the East wing of the Louvre. It is named after St. Herman Church - Bishop Gallo-Roman era, one of the most venerated saints in France.

The first Church that stood on this spot was destroyed during the great siege of Paris by the Vikings in 885-886. However, the Foundation remained - it in the XI century began new construction. In the XII century the building underwent major restructuring - it is from this time begins the story of today's Church. The Western portal was built in 1220-1230 an years, choirs and the chapel of virgin Mary was built in the XIV century, the transept and the other chapel in the XVI. Around 1580, the long reconstruction of the building was completed. Stone statues at the gate and the gate itself was restored in the nineteenth century.

This is why the Church represents an impressive mix of styles: the base of the bell tower is Romanesque, the choir and the Central portal - the early Gothic West portal and the Central nave in the flamboyant Gothic style, the side portal of the Renaissance. It is believed to be one of the most beautiful buildings of Paris.

Inside you can see the pulpit and the benches of the mid-seventeenth century, as well as magnificent stained-glass Windows of the XVI century.

The Church was the parish for the Valois dynasty in the days when the Louvre was still the Royal Palace. Laid on her and a very unusual mission: here are buried most of the artists and sculptors who adorned at one time the Louvre.

In the history of the Church is a tragic date: August 24, 1572 with the bell tower of Saint-Germain-l Osera ringing bells was the signal for the extermination of the Huguenots invited to the wedding of Henry of Navarre with Margaret de Valois. The bell ringing was a sign of the beginning of the St. Bartholomew's day massacre, which killed up to 30 thousand people.

During the revolution the Church was looted, the building was used as a food warehouse and a police station. In 1802 the temple was rebuilt, but in 1831, during the riots, again polluted. In 1837, the Church was opened again, this time permanently.