/ / Church of Saint-Joseph-Artisan: photo, description Eglise Saint-Joseph-Artisan)

Church of Saint-Joseph-Artisan: photo, description Eglise Saint-Joseph-Artisan)

The Church of Saint-Joseph-Artisan, dedicated to St. Joseph, the Master, is no easy story in which sacrifice and hope intertwined with fear and hatred.

In the mid-nineteenth century the rapidly growing economy needed workers. In Paris, began to form the community of immigrants from German principalities. In 1848 the German Jesuits built for the community chapel, and after eighteen years the chapel grew, a stone Church of St. Joseph. It was erected for the German legation in Paris mostly by donations from Germany and Austria.

The Emperor of Austria-Hungary Franz Joseph gave the Church fine stained glass Windows. The parish flourished. But in 1870 came the Franco-Prussian war, besieged Paris, the German community dissolved itself. During the Paris commune, the revolutionaries fired at the Church of the guns, and then partially blown up. The stained glass was lost.

A year later there appeared new members are fleeing Prussian occupation of the inhabitants of Alsace, Lorraine and Luxembourg. Spiritual comfort they were looking for in a Church where they heard the German language, which they used to communicate. Began the restoration of the temple, the altar has a statue of the virgin Mary and St. Joseph. Jesuit father Adolf Vasser decorated the Church with paintings depicting the life of St. Joseph. However, after adoption of the 1905 law on the separation of state and Church the building became the property of the state (although the service continued).

In 1909, the temple building was bought by the Swiss orientalist, doctor of theology and the Abbot of Max Saxe, Prince of Saxony. The fact that during the First world Prince was declared France a "good German", helped to keep the Church during the deadly battle of the two powers. By 1925, however, the original mission of the Church has exhausted itself: the Germans in the area just left. Now here is the usual diocesan Church.

Built in neo-Gothic style, a small Saint-Joseph-Artisan is located in the yard at 214 Lafayette street. The nave of the Church is punctuated by pointed arches. Once destroyed the stained glass Windows restored, they added the work of glass master Kim Yong Jun. On the memorial plaque - names of local priests father Steffel and father Wampach who sacrificed himself and died in the Dachau concentration camp.