/ / The Church of Saint-Julien-Le-Pour: photos, description Eglise Saint-Julien-le-Pauvre)

The Church of Saint-Julien-Le-Pour: photos, description Eglise Saint-Julien-le-Pauvre)

The Church of Saint-Julien-Le-Pour built at the crossroads of Roman roads that once ran through the future of the Latin quarter. Still near the entrance to the Church you can see Roman road plates.

Later on this place there was a chapel, destroyed by the Normans in the year 886. In 1030 the money to rebuild the Shrine were donated by the Duke of Burgundy and future king Henry I (this is the same king who later took to wife the daughter of Yaroslav the Wise Anna). But before the construction of the case is reached only after a century and a half, and it was completed in 1240. Thus, Saint-Julien-Le-Pour is one of the oldest churches of Paris. There could pray for Dante and Thomas Aquinas.

The building was built in the Gothic style of the XIII century. The original appearance of the Church changed several times, it is now much less than originally. The Church is dedicated to two medieval saints who wore the same name: St. Julien of Le Mans and St. Julien from the Dauphine.

From the XVI century, the Church was closely connected with the Sorbonne: here were held the meetings of the faculties of theology and arts. During the revolution the Church was nationalized and made there a warehouse of salt. In the second half of the XIX century the Church was restored by the architect Franz Christian Gau.

In 1889, during the Third Republic, the Church was transferred to the Melkite community of Paris. Melkite is one of the Eastern Catholic churches who observe the Byzantine rites. In 1724, it separated from the Orthodox Church of Antioch entered into full communion with the see of Peter. The transfer of the Church to the community was due to the increasing number of immigrants from Egypt and the Ottoman Empire.

Interior of Saint-Julien-Le-Pour not like in most Parisian churches: there are no statues, no body or paintings by famous artists. Magnificent carved wooden iconostasis, made in 1890 by the artist from Damascus Georges Bit. On the iconostasis there are depicted the scenes from the Gospels. Especially a lot of icons on the South wall of the temple - designed in traditional Greek style, they recall that the Melkite Church traces its lineage from the Byzantine Empire.