/ / Church of Saint-Médard: photo, description Eglise Saint-Medard)

Church of Saint-Médard: photo, description Eglise Saint-Medard)

Church Saint-Médard, the only medieval Church of the quarter Saint-Marcel, built on the site existed here as early as the IX century chapel of Saint-Médard. The chapel was named for St. Médard, Bishop of Nuinsco the days of king Clotaire I. As appears from the records that the Bishop was a strong and independent man: about 550 year he was ordained a Deaconess Queen of the Franks Radegonda fleeing from unloved husband, Clotaire.

Over time, the site of a chapel built by the first Bishop of Paris, destroyed by the Vikings in the seventh century. The bull of Pope Alexander III (1163 year) referred to the second Church of St-Médard, built in the same place and were part of the Abbey of St. Genevieve. The current building on the Rue Mouffetard already, so a third Church, dedicated to St. Médard.

The existing Church was built in the XV century, this process is interrupted by the religious wars that lasted until the XVIII century. In 1561 the Huguenots burned the Church after the collision with the parishioners Catholics. This fire started which lasted for half a century of armed confrontation between Catholics and Protestants, the apex of which was the massacre of St. Bartholomew.

In the second half of the XVII century the Church was chosen by Jansenist - followers of heretical doctrines, condemned by the bull of Pope innocent X (1653). Janseniste gradually degenerated into a sect with their superstitions. In the cemetery of the Church Saint-Médard buried a prominent supporter of the doctrine, the deacon françois of Paris. On his grave began to gather the so-called convulsionary experiencing ecstasy and believed that there healed the hopelessly ill. On hearing this, king Louis XV ordered the cemetery to lock and stop all the wonders of this place. Then at the gate there was an inscription "the King forbids God to do miracles here".

The Church is located on the Rue Mouffetard is a narrow, curved, preserved from the times of medieval Paris, not demolished by Baron Haussmann. Many of the houses on the street belong to the XVII century. They still hang vintage trade sign by which the Parisians were determined and the address to Napoleon (Emperor introduced the numbering of houses). Lived here, Pascal, Descartes, Diderot, Emile Zola, prosper mérimée.

A characteristic feature of the street lying directly in front of the Church is a huge outdoor food market with mountains of fruits and other food.