/ / The Church of St-Michel: photo, description Eglise Saint-Michel de Dijon)

The Church of St-Michel: photo, description Eglise Saint-Michel de Dijon)

With the construction of the Church of St. Michael at Dijon in its current form is one of the urban legends. According to her, in the XV century the Duke of Burgundy became the owner of a religious relic - caskets-mironosits, which preserved a piece of ritual bread - host, to get that out of drenovci was impossible.

The box was handed to the Duke by Pope Eugene IV, who received the relic from the Monaco priest, and that - from one of his parishioners. This woman first and found a piece of the host, and tried to get rid of it. But all attempts to cut drying a wafer with a knife led to the appearance of drops of blood and dried, left a trail, reminiscent of the crucifixion. Learning of this miracle, Dijon decided to build a new temple and began collecting donations. Work began in the late XV century, in 1529 the Church was consecrated, although construction was continued in XVII century until 1667.

The first building on the site of the Church of Saint-Michel was a chapel, also dedicated to the Archangel Michael. The first mention of it was found in urban Chronicles and dates back to the IX century. The chapel was built of wood and was located in the cemetery. In the beginning of XI century chapel already had the status of a parish Church could not accommodate all the parishioners in the hours of worship. It was therefore decided to build a more spacious building, it was consecrated in the year 1020, Bishop of Dijon.

By the time of the construction of a new Church building in the late fifteenth century the old very dilapidated. Construction, even though manifested in the form of drenovci host miracle, has been very slow, so the appearance of the Church you can see the lower part of the Gothic and Renaissance upper. Let the design of the Church changed along with the change of the predominant architectural style, the Church of Saint-Michel looks very impressive: its façade soaring towers topped with domes, and the portico is decorated with filigree and stone carving. The building was built of light gray Sandstone, but in bright sunlight it looks white, and the sunset paints the walls in pink shades.

Inside the Church there is a statue of St. Michael, over which in the middle of the XVI century, were placed sculptural composition "the last judgement". At the end of the XVII century, the Church was an organ, and in the XIX century its interior was decorated with stained glass and wall painting.