/ / Church Saint-Maurice: photo, description Eglise Saint-Maurice d'annecy)

Church Saint-Maurice: photo, description Eglise Saint-Maurice d'annecy)

Church of Saint-Maurice is located in the centre of Annecy, in front of city hall and stands on the banks of the canal San Domenico. The Church was built in the first half of the XV century and is therefore considered one of the most ancient buildings of Annecy, as well as the oldest religious building in the city. Its construction lasted four years, from 1422 to 1426.

In the XV century the Church was a small chapel with an altar that belonged to the influential order of the Dominicans. Immediately after the establishment of the order in the thirteenth century, the monks had to abandon the property and live by begging, but by the first half of the XV century, this principle is often violated by them. A year before the completion of the temple Pope Martin V was deprived of the order of the definition of "mendicant" and the ability to collect alms. However, the Dominicans built in the Annecy building looked modest on the outside but richly decorated inside. In the decoration of the Church was attended by the stained glass Windows and frescoes, the altar was decorated with skillful carving. Masterfully executed, the painting create the effect of the presence of more people and visually increases the internal space of the Church. One of the murals was painted over the grave of the city nobles, the Dukes adviser of Philibert de monthoux. In the XVIII century the interior of the Church was complementary to the throne, supported by the figure of the colossus, and wooden chairs with backs. Initially, the style in which a Church was built, was defined as the southern European Gothic. In this style in the Middle ages, temples were erected in Switzerland, South-Eastern France and Northern Italy.

During the great French revolution, the Church of Saint-Maurice, like many other churches and cathedrals in France during the de-Christianization was simply looted. Its building was adapted for the stable, and then used as a warehouse. In the mid-twentieth century, the Church acquired the status of a monument of history and was restored. Currently, it hosts the service.