/ / The Church of Saint-Paul-Saint-Louis: photo description (Eglise Saint-Paul-Saint-Louis)

The Church of Saint-Paul-Saint-Louis: photo description (Eglise Saint-Paul-Saint-Louis)

The Church of Saint-Paul-Saint-Louis in the Marais stands on the spot where from the VII century stood a small chapel dedicated to Saint Paul the Hermit, the first Christian hermit. The first stone of the present Church was laid in 1627 Louis XIII. The temple was intended for the Jesuits.

The Church had two architects, two bright representative of the "Jesuit style" in architecture. He is the author of the basic plan, the Jesuit father Etienne, Martellini and Creator of the facade of a Dera Francois. They combined elements of French and Italian styles. The high Windows of the transept and the crossing surmounted by a dome with a height of 55 meters, reminiscent of the Italian Church. Bright and impressive turned the façade and also in the Italian style with a touch of French Gothic verticality. It is said that its architecture was influenced by the example of the Church of Saint-Gervais-et-Saint-Prot, whose façade was completed a few years earlier.

The first Holy Mass in the new Church was celebrated on 9 may 1641 cardinal Richelieu. Here he turned to the congregation with fiery sermons is an outstanding pastor of the Jesuit Luis Bordalo, whose gift was highly valued by Corneille and Racine. For Saint-Paul-Saint-Louis wrote sacred music of the famous composer XVII-XVIII centuries, Marc-Antoine Charpentier.

In 1762 the Parliament of Paris decided to ban in France Jesuits and to expel its members from the country. September 2, 1792 during swept the the revolutionary Paris massacre right in the Church were killed and five priests - this reads the memorial plaque. The Church itself was turned into a "temple of Reason and the Supreme being". To the bosom of faith, she returned in 1802.

15 Feb 1843 Leopoldine Hugo, the eldest daughter of the great writer, secretly got married here with Charles Bakery. In the same year the young couple drowned in the Seine while walking on the boat this tragic event greatly influenced Victor Hugo.

In the Church is written especially for the temple painting by eugène Delacroix "Christ in Gethsemane". On one of the columns on the right side of the nave is visible from almost erased the inscription "French Republic or death" related, apparently, to the days of the Paris Commune.