/ / Church of Saint-Pierre-de-Montmartre: photo, description Eglise Saint-Pierre de Montmartre)

Church of Saint-Pierre-de-Montmartre: photo, description Eglise Saint-Pierre de Montmartre)

Church of Saint-Pierre-de-Montmartre is arguing for the title of the oldest Church of Paris, Saint-Germain-des-Prés. She is behind the facade of the sacré-Coeur and as it disappears to the eyes of tourists in this majestic canopy. And the Church most interesting.

It was built as the Abbey Church of Montmartre - it was founded in 1153 with his son, king Louis VII, Adelaide of Savoy. She became the first abbess, a year later died, and then buried. An exceptional phenomenon - adélaïde of Savoy was the Queen, "status" her ashes should rest in Saint-Denis.

The monastery had an unenviable fate. In 1590 Henry VI, besieged Paris, took the Montmartre hill. When he raised the siege, almost all of the nuns went with a group of Huguenots. In 1790, the revolutionaries, the monastery was destroyed, forty-sixth abbess Louise de Montmorency-Laval was sent to the guillotine just a few days before Thermidor, which put an end to the terror of the Jacobins.

Of all the monastery survived only the Church. Gone are the days when especially for Saint-Pierre-de-Montmartre, the great Marc-Antoine Charpentier wrote devotional music. The revolutionaries desecrated the Church, arranging the Temple of the Mind. Then there are some time located warehouse.

In 1794 the tower of the Church, one of the highest points of Paris, has installed an optical Telegraph system of the brothers Chappe. This station received the message announcing the defeat of Napoleon at Waterloo.

Holy Masses in the Church resumed only in 1908. During the Second world war killed an ancient stained glass, in 1953 they were replaced by neo-Gothic stained glass work of glass blower and designer Maurice Max-Ingrina. It is believed that the marble columns inside the Church date back to the late antiquity, when this place was a temple dedicated to Mars. Very beautiful surviving all revolutions and wars of the bronze gates of the Church work of Italian Tommaso Gismondi. On the main gate depicts scenes of the life of the Apostle Peter, the patron Saint of the temple - from the calling of Jesus to execution by crucifixion in Rome.

The Church adjoins the smallest in Paris the abandoned cemetery CULVER ("cemetery of the Crucifixion" - in 1833 behind the Church was erected a crucifix). For visitors the cemetery is opened once a year, November 1, all saints ' Day. Here are the magnificent bronze Gates of the resurrection of the work of Tommaso Gismondi.