/ / The Church of Saint-Sauveur (the Savior): photo, description Eglise Saint-Sauveur de La Rochelle)

The Church of Saint-Sauveur (the Savior): photo, description Eglise Saint-Sauveur de La Rochelle)

A few years ago in the Church of the Savior were carried out restoration work, but its initial shape now accounts for only guess, because the building was repeatedly reconstructed, and even the name of the Church changed.

The first Church on this place was built in the first half of the XII century and was consecrated by the name of Mary Magdalene. The founders of the Church were the monks who arrived from the island of AIX. From the first building have been preserved only a fragment of the bell tower.

In the beginning of the XV century, the Church burned and by the end of the same century was built again. However, less than a hundred years a second building was destroyed by Protestants during the religious wars. From buildings there is still a portal. In 1705, the building was again destroyed by fire, so in the beginning of XVIII century was made complete restoration of the Church, and in this form it has survived to our time, even despite the fact that during the revolution the Church was used as a fish warehouse.

Modern visitors to the temple can appreciate not only its architectural features (such as three-tiered Gothic bell tower, the medieval portal is decorated with Corinthian columns or pointed arches of the nave), but the sound of the organ, which was also renovated not long ago.

In La Rochelle the Church of the Redeemer is located on Rue Saint-Sauveur, near the Old port.