/ / The Church of Saint-Sauveur (the Savior): photo, description Eglise Saint-Sauveur de Caen)

The Church of Saint-Sauveur (the Savior): photo, description Eglise Saint-Sauveur de Caen)

The Church of Saint-Sauveur, which translated into Russian language means "Church of the Redeemer, located in the heart of the Old city of Caen, Normandy. Interestingly, till 1802, this Church was known under a different name - it was dedicated to the virgin Mary, and his full name was - Notre-Dame-de-Froid-Ryu (Notre-Dame-de-Froide-Rue). This was due to the location of the building - it is located at the intersection of St. Peter street Froid-Ryu. In any case, now this Church was consecrated in honor of the Savior - Jesus Christ.

The first building on this site appeared in the VII century, and its Builder was local Saint Regnumber. But from this facility, as and from the later Romanesque chapel of the twelfth century, has left no traces. The present Church was begun in the XIV century and completed only two hundred years later. However, several times changed the form of construction. The oldest part is the Eastern nave and bell tower were then built and linked together the rest of the room. Due to the fact that construction was delayed long enough in the appearance of the temple has crossed from two leading style of the period - the bell tower made in the Gothic style, while the East façade was completely rebuilt in 1546 in the Renaissance style.

Throughout its history the Church has suffered only once because of an unexpected earthquake that occurred in Qana on 30 December 1775. She stood during the French revolution, though were closed, as well as other religious structures. In 1802, the worship was resumed and the temple was renamed.

Interestingly, the temple on both sides surrounded by old houses built in the course of mass building. Before, and its Eastern facade was closed with many mansions, but they were almost completely destroyed during the battle of Caen in 1944, and it was decided not to restore.
Inside the Church is decorated in strict style, although there remained a few reliquaries and tombs of local saints and the city bishops.

In the beginning of its history the Church of St-Sauveur, then known as Notre Dame, was a popular place of pilgrimage. Among the most interesting details worth noting one mysterious, leading to nowhere the old stairs. Perhaps she was now immured in another room with the sacred relics, but this hypothesis is not yet confirmed.