/ / The Church of Saint-Sulpice: photo, description Eglise Saint-Sulpice)

The Church of Saint-Sulpice: photo, description Eglise Saint-Sulpice)

The Church of Saint-Sulpice is located between the Luxembourg gardens and the Boulevard Saint-Germain. The temple is huge: the size it is second only to Notre Dame de Paris. In addition, in Saint-Sulpice is the biggest in France on.

At least from the IX century on this place stood a small Church. In 1646 began construction of a new, larger Church. It lasted until the French revolution under the guidance of various architects, among whom was Giovanni Servandoni, which gave the Church its classical facade. All the Church was completed only in 1870, but a year later the North bell tower, partially destroyed fire Paris the Prussians. Restored the bell tower was already in our days.

During the French revolution Saint-Sulpice was desecrated: it was turned into a temple of Victory and a hall for banquets. Here, in particular, celebrated the success of the Egyptian campaign of Napoleon. However, Napoleon in 1800 gave to the temple its purpose.

Inside the temple is so unusual attribute, as the gnomon is an astronomical instrument for determining the direction of the true Meridian. In the floor of Saint-Sulpice is clearly visible coming from the gnomon copper strip, indicating the direction of the Paris Meridian until 1884 all longitude was calculated from it). In fact, however, more accurately determined the Meridian at the Paris Observatory, located a kilometer to the South.

The Church interior is magnificent. Its main nave is 120 feet in length, arch height - about 30 meters. The Church has two organ, a small choir with 22 pipes and large pipes 102. The history of the organs of Saint-Sulpice is from the XVI century. From century to century they became more and more difficult. In the second half of the XIX century to them applied all his genius music master Aristide kavajë-Col. He did a great organ of Saint Sulpice, the largest in France. An amazing tool has a height of 18 meters, it has seven floors.

In the chapel of the Church you can see murals painted by Delacroix "the Battle of Jacob with the angel", "Saint Michael killing the demon" and "the Expulsion of Heliodorus from the robber of the temple of Jerusalem". This is the last major work of the artist.