/ / The Church of St-étienne: photo, description Eglise Saint-Etienne de Lille)

The Church of St-étienne: photo, description Eglise Saint-Etienne de Lille)

The history of the Church Saint-Etienne in Lille is not quite normal: she is first a chapel, then a Church, then a chapel, and again the temple, changed the name and rebuilt.

The first building on the site of the present St. Stephen's Church became a chapel built by the Jesuits in the early XVII century. The chapel burned down, and in its place, in 1743 decided to build the Church of the Immaculate Conception at which creation laboured the architects Joseph Gamber and Dominic Telesal. The construction of the temple continued even during the war of the Austrian succession 1740-1748 years, and in the year of its completion the Church was dedicated and received its first parishioners. Up to 1765 the Church belonged to the Jesuits, governed by their Board, but 13 years later, the Jesuits were expelled, and the Church again became a chapel at the hospital.

At the end of the XVIII century, the inhabitants of Lille have lost one of the most important city churches - St. Stephen's Church, built in the XIV-XV centuries, which burned in years of another war. The new Church in its place has decided not to build, instead, renamed the former Jesuit chapel and returned it to the status of the Church.

The Church of Saint-Etienne has survived to the present time in the form of a Baroque building, the lower part of which was designed in the tradition of the ionic order, and the top - in the tradition of the Corinthian. The Church adjoins the square bell tower. In the building - more than three dozen Windows decorated with stained glass paintings created by Charles Godele. Inside you can find wall painting technique "trompe l'oeil" when the plane image appears three-dimensional. In the decoration of the Church are preserved valuable utensils, paintings, sculpture, original stucco décor.

In Lille, the Church of St. Stephen located in the Military hospital. In 80-e years, this religious building was declared a monument of history.