/ / The Church of Saint-étienne-du-Mont: photo, description Eglise Saint-Etienne-du-Mont)

The Church of Saint-étienne-du-Mont: photo, description Eglise Saint-Etienne-du-Mont)

The Church of Saint-étienne-du-Mont stands on the hill of Sainte Genevieve near the Pantheon. Until the French revolution in these places was the Abbey of St. Genevieve. It was one of the largest monasteries of Paris, founded by Clovis and his wife Clotilde (V -VI century). The population of the surrounding neighborhoods grew, parishioners became more (in particular, by students from the nearby Sorbonne), and in 1222 Pope Honorius III gave his blessing to construction of the parish Church of St. Stephen. By the end of the fifteenth century, however, this Church has turned out to be close to parishioners. In 1492, the Abbey donated land on mount St. Genevieve, under a more spacious temple. The building of a new Church lasted more than a century, 1622-1626 was completed its facade, and the building was consecrated by the Archbishop of Paris, Jean-françois de Gondi.

Church over the gate of Saint-étienne-du-Mont, placed the relief depicting the death of the first Martyr, the Apostle of the seventy St. Stephen's. The Jerusalem deacon Stephen preached the Word of God, was tried and executed by stoning. Saint Stephen is still venerated in Catholicism and Orthodoxy.

The Church is enormous: the length of the main nave is 69 meters, width - about 30. Interior with magnificent stained glass Windows, the finest stone lacework of overhead galleries and staircases, many sculptures and beautifully carved pulpit. Parisians fell in love with the temple, were often brought here the relics of the patroness of Paris, St. geneviève.

The revolution, however, has turned Saint-Etienne-du-Mont in "temple of FILIAL piety". St Cecilia, patroness of Paris, threw into the sewer, sculpture knocked over and smashed. The Church was re-consecrated until 1801, when Napoleon III had it rebuilt and restored the sculptural decoration.

In Saint-Etienne-du-Mont is set is richly decorated with cancer, which stores the relics of St. geneviève. Here lie the ashes of Blaise Pascal and Jean Racine, at the local cemetery buried Marat.

Here in 1997 during his visit to Paris for world youth day served the Holy Mass, Pope John Paul II.