/ / Church of Saint Ferdinand des Ternes: photos, description Eglise Saint-Ferdinand-des-Ternes)

Church of Saint Ferdinand des Ternes: photos, description Eglise Saint-Ferdinand-des-Ternes)

Church of Saint Ferdinand des Ternes named the common name of two historical characters of Royal blood, separated by six centuries of the abyss, but left a grateful memory.

The chapel at this place was a suburban village Turn from the beginning of XIX century. In 1842, the municipality of the district of Neuilly began construction of a larger Church designed by architect Lech Field. July 13, 1842, the young Duke Ferdinand-Philippe of Orleans rode in a carriage drawn by two horses, through Neuilly-sur-Seine. The horses bolted, the Duke tried to escape by jumping out of the stroller and smashed his head on the pavement. After a few hours he died. The sudden death of the talented and courageous heir to the throne, in which the country saw the future Emperor, six years have led to revolution and the downfall of the Bourbon dynasty.

The Church was named in memory of the deceased the heir to the throne, however, its title contains the word "Holy" (in French Saint). It points to the heavenly patron of the Church by the name of Ferdinand. We are talking about Ferdinand III the Holy, king of Castile XIII century - energetic and highly educated monarch, who brought to a successful conclusion of the Reconquista, the process of reconquest of the Iberian Peninsula from the Moors. Canonized king, who returned to Spain in the bosom of Christian civilization, was canonized in 1671.

In 1934 the reconstruction of the temple by the architects of the Field of Tedone, frédéric Bertrand and Pierre Durand. The old building when it was demolished, but the dedication of the Church preserved. On its facade, designed in Romano-Byzantine style, to the left of the image of Christ is the relief of Saint Ferdinand, in the transept is a stele with the figure of the Saint on horseback.

The interior of the Church is decorated with bright and unusual. A number of artists - Paulina Peña, Maurice Gee, Pierre Dionysius, Jeanne-Marie Soren sang for temple of the frescoes in the style of naive art. In the transept is a bronze sculpture of "Christ on the cross" the work of Antoine-Auguste Overcome, which caused heated disputes: the artist stressed the suffering, the physical pain, the tension of all muscles.

In 1941, during the Nazi occupation, in the crypt of the Church was consecrated "the lower temple" dedicated to St. Teresa of the Infant Jesus, the Apostle of love. Pope Pius XII named Saint Therese patroness of France alongside St. Joan of Arc.