/ / Church of Saint-Philippe du Roule: photos, description Eglise Saint-Philippe-du-Roule)

Church of Saint-Philippe du Roule: photos, description Eglise Saint-Philippe-du-Roule)

Church of Saint-Philippe du Roule as its main facade overlooks the square, Sessini-Goyon lying North of the Round square, the Champs-elysées.

The Church stands on the site of the former chapel Saint-Jacques-Saint-Philippe, which is in disrepair was demolished in 1739. For decades, the Holy Mass for local parishioners was served in the barn. In 1764 the vicar and Church wardens wrote to Louis XV that the parish becomes more and more, there is the Church. In 1767, the architect Jean-françois Chalgrin presented the project of the temple, which was approved by the Royal Academy of architecture. Construction began in 1773, was essentially completed by the spring of 1784. Remained to build two bell towers, the final facade, but they will never come to light - first, not enough money, then came the revolution, during which the Church was transformed into a "temple of Concordia".

Divine services were resumed here in 1795. In the mid-nineteenth century the Church building was twice rebuilt, which required a new consecration in 1852. In our time, in 1999, Saint-Philippe du Roule received a new altar and pulpit in the style of the XIX century.

Saint-Philippe du Roule - first Church of Paris, the façade of the Greco-Roman style. In developing the project, Chalgrin clearly influenced by architectural discoveries related to the Roman excavations of Herculaneum in the second half of the XVIII century. The neoclassical Church will become a model for many of the Paris churches of the nineteenth century.

The interior of the Church is also reminiscent of Roman temples from the ancient Doric colonnades. The Windows of the North aisle are occupied by stained glass, which tells about the lives of the apostles Philip and John (the work of the glassmaker Emile Hirsch). The vault of the nave is decorated with the painting "the descent from the cross" painted by Theodore, Sassari. The magnificent chapel of the virgin Mary, the center of which is a sculpture of the mother of God are Grateful to the work of Charles-françois Labefa of Antalya.

24 August 1944 the Church bells of Paris rang for the first four years of occupation: the tanks of the Leclerc came to the aid of the townspeople. Silent - only in Paris! - Saint-Philippe du Roule. On Sunday Holy mass the parish priest father Jean Muller explained that the parishioners informed him by phone that the Paris radio asks the priests to ring all the bells. But during the occupation, parishioners have simply forgotten that Saint-Philippe du Roule bells no. And the priest then announced the collection of funds for their purchase.

The money was soon collected, and the Church received the bell Release.