/ / Church of Saint-Evert: photos, description ('eglise Saint-Euverte d'orleans)

Church of Saint-Evert: photos, description ('eglise Saint-Euverte d'orleans)

Church of Saint-Evert located in the Eastern part of the city of Orleans, just 500 meters from the Pont-Tina and the river Loire. The Church was built in the X century, but since then was rebuilt many times and rebuilt, which could not affect its appearance - it is very heterogeneous. To the naked eye it is visible that this building has mixed several architectural styles, and different levels and parts of the building were completed at different times.

The first chapel has stood here since the ninth century - it was built on the grave of Evert Orleans, the town's Bishop in the fourth century. And in 956 year there has grown a small Augustinian monastery, followed by another Church, already large in size.

It was first destroyed in 1358 during the siege of the city by British troops, then again in 1428, also during the hundred years war. But then the Church was surrounded by strong walls that were part of city fortifications. However, within a hundred years began the French religious wars, not bypassed this building side. Twice in 1562 and 1567 the years that the Abbey was burned and looted by the Calvinists.

In 1611 Henry IV of Navarre, king of France donated the generous sum for the reconstruction of the temple - work was delayed for more than a century, and was completed only in 1737. And since the beginning of the French revolution in 1790, the Church was closed again: there is an Arsenal of weapons, and then special warehouse that functioned in the city customs. Only in 1851 began a full restoration of the Church, and in 1893, there opened a Catholic educational institution with a pension, acting and now.

The temple consists of one nave and four lateral chapels, the ceilings are low and vaulted. The main portal of the temple was finished in the XVI century, to the North is the bell tower. The first three floors of this tower belong to 1565, while the last floor was completed at the beginning of the next century. The interior of the Church is humility, passing in severity.