/ / The Church of the Dormition of the Mother of God: photo, description Eglise Notre-Dame-de-l'assomption)

The Church of the Dormition of the Mother of God: photo, description Eglise Notre-Dame-de-l'assomption)

In the Church of the Dormition of the Mother of God, located a hundred meters North of the Tuileries gardens, as often as the French, you can hear Polish speech: this Church belongs to the Polish Catholic mission in France.

The temple itself is built for the monastery of the Dormition of the Mother of God the architect Carl Error - it was between 1670 and 1676. During the revolution the monastery was destroyed, in its place - literally right next to the Church is now the Court of accounts, the Supreme audit institution of France. The temple survived. After coming to power, Napoleon had provided funds for its restoration.

March 6, 1806, Pope Pius VII celebrated here the Holy Mass, during which he received communion many poles who served in Napoleon's army. After the defeat of Napoleon in the French capital, settled many of the well - known Polish family, Czartoryski, Poniatowski, Dabrowski. The colony grew and further: after the defeat of the uprising of 1830, the poles, seeking to escape Siberian exile, rushed to Paris.

Emigration was in need of pastoral care, and in 1836 in Paris was founded the first Polish Catholic mission. In 1844 it gained the permanent address on Rue Saint-honoré. Seeing the religious zeal of the poles, the Archbishop of Paris, Denis Affre allowed them to serve mass in their native language in the nearby Church of the Dormition of the Mother of God. Since then, she called the Polish and serves as a center of spiritual gravity for the Polish Diaspora in France.

Temple in Baroque style, small in size, but unusual architecture. It seems that the whole volume of the building is a round drum with a massive dome. Inside there is the usual rectangular Central nave - it is absolutely round, in the form of a rotunda with a diameter of 24 meters. The room is richly decorated with paintings and sculptures. Is a statue of Jesus with the Polish coat of arms on the pedestal, portraits of the great figures of the Polish Catholic Church at the altar of the virgin, the list of God of mercy Mother of God. Over the baptismal font with Holy water is installed porcelain figure of a Polish king. The dome is decorated with a huge fresco of the "assumption" painted by Charles de La Fosse, also painted the dome of the Invalides.