/ / The Church of the virgin Mary of the Angels: photo, description Eglise Notre-Dame-des-Anges de Collioure)

The Church of the virgin Mary of the Angels: photo, description Eglise Notre-Dame-des-Anges de Collioure)

The Church of our lady of Angels (Notre Dame des anges) is on a promontory, on three sides washed by the waves of the Mediterranean sea. It is located in the city Colure, Languedoc - Roussillon, the border between France and Spain. Interestingly, in this area, the Catalan language is spoken even more than the French.

The Cathedral itself was built in 1684-1691. It is made in the typical style yuzhnorusskoe (Mediterranean) Gothic. The Church is famous for its bell tower, which is located almost in the open sea. This is due to its origin earlier in its place is the old medieval lighthouse.

Previous city Church towered over the town, typical medieval sacral buildings. However, at the end of the XVII century in the strengthening of port cities in the South, it was demolished on the orders of the great French military engineer Vauban. He allowed the citizens to build a new temple on the shore of the sea, opposite the old lighthouse. Soon the work in Colure ended and the lighthouse are not included in the chain of new fortifications of the city, was converted into a Church tower. However, only in 1809 he was crowned with a graceful semicircular dome made in accordance with Tuscan traditions.

Despite the fact that the Church was finished in the XVII century, its interior was moved from an earlier building. Among the interior details the most notable are the paintings of the XV century, the reliquary of the XVI century, furniture Louis XIII and the statue of the blessed virgin Mary of the same era (XVII century). The temple was rebuilt several times and restored, but retaining its original character. It common features and of the Mediterranean Gothic, and Baroque, and classicism.

Only in the Church, 8 chapels, with six of them preserved ancient altar image of XVII-XVIII centuries, and in one of them and more wall paintings of the XIX century. Especially noteworthy is the chapel of St. Vincent Catalan - here the relics of this Holy Martyr of the IV century, became the patron Saint of the city of Collioure.