/ / The citadel of Saint-Malo: photo, description Chateau de Saint-Malo)

The citadel of Saint-Malo: photo, description Chateau de Saint-Malo)

The citadel of Saint-Malo is on the Eastern border of Brittany Saint-Malo. The modern building was erected in 1424 by the Dukes of Brittany.

From the initial construction of XIV century, there were only a Small donjon (Petit Donjon) to the West of the castle, which was carried out the only entrance to the city of Saint-Malo. Then built a Large donjon (Grand Donjon), the construction with its outstanding height and unusual shape - it is made in the form of a horseshoe. Notably the jagged peaked roof of the building, which was equipped with a lookout point with two eye-catching alarm towers.

The entire citadel consists of four towers, the oldest of which is the tower of La Generale, built in 1475. It is below the donjon, but much more massive. Second, the old tower was erected on the orders of the future Queen of France Anne of Brittany in 1498-1501 years, it is interesting that the townspeople were opposed to its construction. Two more towers were finished much later. They are all powerful open bastions, on top of which were placed artillery weapons.

In 1590, the castle was captured by rebellious citizens, who lived there killed the Governor and declared an independent Republic of Saint-Malo. In the XVII century the Fort was built another Bastion, in the shape of the nose of the ship - this was due to the fact that at that time the city was flooded by pirates and runaway sailors.

In 1690 the citadel of Saint-Malo was upgraded according to the plans of the great French military engineer Vauban was built long barracks in the North-Eastern part of the Fort, as well as an improved fortified walls and bastions, but in the course of the French revolution all of these walls were completely destroyed. After that, the Fort was turned into a mere barracks, and existed as such until 1921.

During world war II, this architectural complex was badly damaged. After the restoration of the buildings went to the city hall, and the donjon in the tower of La Generale was a Museum of history of Saint-Malo. Now these two towers are open for tourist visits.