/ / Chapel of the Atonement: photos, description (Chapelle Expiatoire)

Chapel of the Atonement: photos, description (Chapelle Expiatoire)

Chateaubriand called the chapel of the Atonement is the most remarkable monument in Paris. It was built in atonement for the sins of the revolution and in memory of Louis XVI and Marie-Antoinette, whose decapitated body was buried in a common grave in the cemetery of the Madeleine. Every year on January 21, the day of the execution of Louis XVI, the chapel served the funeral Mass.

Shut off from the bustle of the street yard bloom favorite Queen of white roses. Here, when there was a parish cemetery of the Church of St Mary Magdalene, took the bodies of those executed in the square of the Revolution (now Concorde), where stood the guillotine. For three consecutive years the corpses were dumped in a heap, prisypaya quicklime. Charlotte Corday, a citizen of Egalite (Prince d'orleans), generals Biron and Custine, Jacques-rené hébert... and a lot of people, remaining nameless. After the execution of hebertists cemetery finally closed at the pleasure of the locals who have long complained about the smell.

And the guillotine were buried here the Swiss guards on 10 August 1792, courageously defended the Palace of the Tuileries from the rebels. Before that there were buried 103 people who died on 30 may 1770 in a fire and stampede during the fireworks in honor of the marriage of Louis XVI and Marie-Antoinette. Who would have thought that 23 years later here throw simple coffins with the then newlyweds!

These coffins were helped to identify their bodies. When the cemetery was closed, a certain Pierre Desclos bought it and noted the place of burial of the Royal couple. He was a secret royalist and practical man - after the Restoration, sold the place to Louis XVIII for big money.

In 1815 the remains of the king and Queen moved to the tomb of Saint-Denis. The others were reburied in a common grave in the Monceau district (now their bones are in the Paris catacombs). Louis XVIII ordered to be erected on the site of the cemetery chapel. Architects Pierre françois léonard Fontaine, Charles Percier and Louis-Hippolyte lebas built it ten years, consecrated it was under Charles X.

The chapel, a sample of the style of late classicism, stands in the courtyard, on the sides which holds the cenotaphs (empty graves), dedicated to those who died for the king's Swiss guards. Inside the chapel is strictly gloomy and even a Doric portico with four columns. Through the window in the main dome, the light falls on the space in the form of a Greek (equilateral) cross, an altar and two amazing drama white marble statue of Marie-Antoinette supported by Religion (the work of Jean-Pierre Cortot), and Louis XVI, pray angel (by Francois Joseph Bosio). Black-and-white marble altar in the crypt marks the burial place of king. Solemn, beautiful and very sad chapel.