/ / Chapel of Mercy: photo, description Chapelle de la Misericorde)

Chapel of Mercy: photo, description Chapelle de la Misericorde)

Catholic chapel of Mercy is one of the oldest and perhaps the most original buildings of Cannes.

There is a chapel at the foot of the hill of Le Suquet, right next to the Forville market. There are a lot of bustle and noise, as always happens near the markets, but by this temple will not run in a hurry: its unusual architecture attracts attention.

Presumably the chapel was built either at the end of the XVI century or early XVII, but certainly before the year 1620. It is small: about 26 meters in length and about 9 meters in width. It looks simple, almost to severity. The rounded wall on the East facade connects with a low rectangular belfry, surmounted by a small pointed spire. The spire, is decorated with glazed tiles - the only colourful spot on the building, and then pretty modest.

Initially, the chapel was named Notre-Dame-de-La-Misericordia-de-Bor-de-Mer (our lady of Mercy the Sea Shore). However, at some point, the name of the virgin Sea Shore received another local Church. Apparently, the name does not recur, one of them is the chapel of the hill of Le Suquet is changed. Since all cancy know it as the chapel of Mercy.

However, many people call this small temple chapel of the Black penitents or more short - Black. Surprising that folk memory has preserved this fact: it is the Brotherhood of black penitents of Ministers to the Church for many years. The Catholic brotherhood of the penitent, who practiced humility and helping others, and differing in the color of the robes that were very popular in the South of France before the revolution of 1789. During the revolution the chapel of Mercy, like many Church buildings, was expropriated. Later, the Brotherhood of the black penitents came back, but not for long - in 1860, it was disbanded, and people still remember the name.

Now the chapel of Mercy is a working. In the morning she normally opened, you can go and explore the interior, done in shades of gray, as simple and strict as the walls outside. It regularly serve the Tridentine Mass - the Mass in Latin, in the Catholic Church after the Second Vatican Council 1962 - 1965 not a frequent occurrence. The entrance to the chapel is not from the market, and on the opposite side of the street that bears the same name: Misericordia, that is, the street of Charity.