/ / Chartres-de-Sampol: photos, description (Chartreuse de Champmol)

Chartres-de-Sampol: photos, description (Chartreuse de Champmol)

Chartres-de-Sampol - a former Carthusian monastery in Dijon. It was built in the second half of the XIV century outside the city walls, but as the growth of the city was in its territory. So the monastery is not located in the historic centre of Dijon, and at some distance from him.

The founder of the monastery of Sampoli made Philip II the Bold, Duke of Burgundy in 1383. Thus, he prepared himself and his successor to the place of the future burial - except for the Philip the Bold of Burgundy Dukes were buried there in the next hundred years. However, then their remains were transferred to the Ducal Palace.

The consecration of the monastery took place only five years after the laying of the first stone. Its architect was the Drouet de Dammartin. For the decoration of his future tomb of Philip the Bold invited famous sculptors and artists, including Klaus Sluter - Burgundian sculptor born in the Netherlands, which became the court architect of the Duke, bright wizard, whose work was distinguished by realism and monumentalism. Unfortunately, some of the work of Sluter created for the monastery Sampol, have not survived the years of the revolution. But two of them still survived is the hexagonal base of the crucifixion, called the "Well of Moses", with images of old Testament prophets and the door of the chapel of the monastery. Sluter also began to create a headstone for the grave of Philip the Bold, but this work was completed by his nephew Claus de Werve.

In XV century the monastery took under its vaults the residence of the Dukes of Burgundy. During the French revolution the monastery buildings were partially destroyed.